Hello, and a happy start to the week!
Did you catch up on any much needed sleep over the weekend? Kudos if you did, but if, like a lot of my students, you have trouble falling asleep, or staying asleep, then I've got a few tips to help you have the best sleep of your life!
How to Beat Insomnia - Mondays with Maya
If you're anything like me, lack of sleep will make you less productive and unable to function properly during the day. Insomnia really is a problem nowadays, with our brain finding it hard to switch off after the overload of technology and information we receive on a daily basis, but thankfully, there are some things we can do about it thanks to the tools from the Kundalini yoga toolbox! Here is a simple exercise you can do to help you fall asleep, and have a pleasant, deep sleep: -
- Put the hands together in prayer position at the chest.
- Keep the eyes one tenth open.
- Inhale, and hold the breath, and mentally vibrate and repeat the mantra "Wahe guru" eight times.
- Exhale, hold the breath, and again mentally vibrate and repeat the mantra "Wahe guru" eight times.
- You can carry on for 3 minute, 5 minutes, 7 minutes, 11 minutes, or however long you want.
Another tip is melatonin drops, which I find work brilliantly. You can get them from a health store, and they really help calm me down.
I also wrote an article for Grazia magazine on how to sleep better which is full of other tips and tricks for a better night's sleep. You can also try my online class, "How to Improve Sleep" for a more thorough workout specifically designed to beat insomnia once and for all.
Try these tips and let me know how you get on!