I recently spent some time in nature, visiting Arches National Park in Utah, USA. This beautiful piece of land is truly a treasure, with plenty of magical views. It has a seriously inspiring, grounding energy.
During stressful times, it’s so important to thoughtfully “ground” our minds and bodies however we can. A perfect way to do this is to focus on the first chakra, known as the Root or Muladhara chakra.
The Root chakra is an energy center located at the base of the spine, is usually depicted as a red orb of energy. This is also where the Kundalini energy sits coiled, waiting to be awakened!
Your Root chakra represents groundedness and overall well-being—when the energy at the root is aligned and strong, you’ll feel:
- Connected to your body
- Physically strong
If the energy at the Root chakra is blocked, you might feel:
- Disconnected from your body, the Earth, and the people around you
- Unsafe, uneasy
- Lack of confidence, uncomfortable in the body
- Emotionally and physically fatigued
You can learn more about this very important chakra—and the rest of the seven chakras—in the Maya Fiennes Method seven-week program. Each week, I focus on clearing blockages from each chakra by teaching you movements and meditations that take just seven minutes a day. And of course, week one covers the Root chakra!
In this week’s Mondays with Maya video, I teach you a simple exercise that will help you ground your first chakra. You can do this against any wall or stable, flat surface—I chose to do it against a rock at Arches National Park!
- Stand with feet hips-width distance apart, looking away from the wall.
- Soften your knees just a little, and lean your back and pelvis against the wall.
- Relax your body here—this isn’t a gym exercise like a wall sit! You’re simply enjoying the stability of the wall behind you.
- Repeat the mantra of your choice as you stay in position anywhere from five to eleven minutes.
Try it out, and let me know how it goes by sending me a message on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. I want to hear how it goes!
Until next week,